Archive for Survival
There is a pretty simple answer to that question.
An” End of the World Gun” is a firearm that is so simple & basic by design, so reliable & durable, so easy to use, that it could survive the “End of the World”.
Chances are that as a gun owner you probably already have at least one such firearm sitting in a closet or safe. Probably something that you rarely take to the range and probably don’t think about too much.
The reason you don’t think about them too much is because most “End of the World Guns” are older, more basic designed style firearms, things so antiquated by today’s standards that they are inherently simple and reliable by design.
Some features you’ll want to look for in an “End of the World Gun” are non-semiauto, bolt action, break action, single shot and even lever or pump action and lever action.
Some great examples of “End of the World Guns” are, Mosin Nagant, or any good solid bolt action rifle, single or double barrel, break action shotguns, most of your standard double and single action revolvers, Rossi or H&R break action single shot rifles, Marlin lever action rifles and any pump action shotgun.
So there you have it. You’ve probably got one or two “End of the World Guns” already in your collection and even if you don’t most of ’em are pretty cheap to pick up.
So there you are, in your house, about to to make the decision to leave your home for better pastures and see what the world has in store for you. Oh, and did I mention …….. the dead have risen from their graves!!!
Thats right, it’s Z-Day and you’ve finally run out of supplies and can no longer defend your home from the hordes of the undead. You’ve got very little time and you need to gather the essential supplies to survive your trek across the zombie littered countryside in search of fellow survivors and a secure location to ride out the Zombie Apocalypse!!
So let’s take a look at some of the essential items you’ll need to grab to survive
1) Guns & Ammo – Yup thats right, the standard in defense for the zombie apocalypse. But choose wisely. Remember, the goal is to put a round in the brain pan, nothing more, nothing less. Also you want to be able to carry as many rounds of ammunition as possible because you don’t know how long you’ll be without support and the ability to re-supply. And last but certainly not least you’ll want to choose a firearm with a common caliber to make it easier to scavenge for more ammo. Some of the better choices are …..
.22lr rifle or pistol
Rifle in .223 (think AR15)
9mm handgun or carbine
Or any combination of the above
2) Flashlight – Pretty simple I know but this one could very well save your life more than the firearm. What would be worse than finding a quiet building to stay secure for the night, only to discover that the dark room you’ve just walked into holds a crawling, legless zombie who with little to no effort makes dinner of your leg. All of which could’ve been avoided if you’d had a flashlight to illuminate the situation.
3) Food & Water – This one is harder than you might think. You definitely want to grab as much as you can carry but you also want to grab what you’ll need to gather more when that runs out. Think items like a canteen, water purification tabs, small cooking pot & fire starting materials. Also knowing how to hunt or what plant life is edible might be a good thing to know.
4) Knife – Nothing can replace a good knife as one of the most valuable tools to keep on you at all times. Great for standard survival duties and also a good last resort defensive weapon.
5) Contamination kit – This is always an essential item for Z-Day because you don’t want to worry about infection. A standard kit should include rubber gloves some standard kitchen trash bags, a small tarp and some kind of cleaning agent (preferably bleach or alcohol)
6) Med-Kit – Certainly a must have because at the end of the day, you don’t want to get taken out by that small cut you got jumping over that fence, that got infected because you didn’t have a bandage and some antibiotic ointment.
7) Close Combat Weapon – This should be something easily wielded and simple. Think something along the lines of a Baseball bat, Machete, Sword, Hatchet, Axe or something similar. Just remember to keep it as light as possible without giving up power, a sledgehammer for instance sounds great because of the damage it can do but it’s weight makes it hard to carry on foot and makes it hard to swing more than once quickly.
Well thats it, those are the basics you’ll need to start making your way through the “Land of the Dead”. There will always be other items you might find useful on your journey but remember being able to move quickly is key to survival.